TG4 is Ireland’s national Irish language television station. You can watch it even with you non-smart TV using the Chromecast device. Read on for details.
Why watch, I can’t understand it!
First, why watch TG4, when you probably can’t understand it?
It’s learning by free! It’s learning by osmosis, by immersion. You probably over-estimate the amount of “active” learning you should do, in comparison to your “passive” learning. Immerse yourself in Ireland’s daily culture, and you’ll be passively learning each and every day. This is the cure to the feeling of “oh, I fell behind on my Bitesize Irish Gaelic lessons!”.
Watching their programming lets you make a direct connection with Ireland’s living culture. It’s one of the best ways to get some motivation in your journey to speak some Irish Gaelic, to make that real connection with your Irish heritage?
Watching TG4 with Chromecast
The Google Chromecast that plugs into your TV’s HDMI port. At the time of writing, it costs about $40/€40.
Steps to getting TG4 playing on your television:
- Purchase Chromecast
- Turn on Chromecast
- Turn on your computer.
- In the Chrome browser on your computer, go to the Apps Store
- Install the Chrome app for Chromecast
- Visit www.tg4.ie on your computer in Chrome
- Click to watch live TG4
- In your Chrome browser, click the new icon in the navigation bar to “cast” TG4 to your TV
- Switch to full screen
That might seem complicated, and it is complicated enough. Once you’re set up, it’s pretty easy to fire on TG4 from your computer to your Chromecast.
Alternative ways to watch TG4?
- If you have a smart TV, try searching for the TG4 app. If your TV supports this, it’s probably better to use this way than go through the Chromecast
- Just watch directly on your phone. Install the TG4 app, which lets you watch programming right there.
- Watch on your computer, through www.tg4.ie
Do you have other ways to make TG4 part of your day? Let us know in the comments below.