Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS
Discussion podcast about learning to speak Irish Gaelic (in English). Devin Blankenship is founder and president of the Indiana Celtic Community. After traveling to Ireland, he attended an Irish language immersion weekend in Madison, Wisconsin. He went on to found a regular study group in Bloomington, Indiana, where he also run their annual Irish Gaelic immersion weekend.
What you’ll hear
- How a couple of trips to Ireland helped give Devin a thirst for learning the Irish language
- How he first started with books, but went on to visit an immersion weekend 7 hours away
- Practical tips on starting your own study group – don’t wait for an Irish language speaker to arrive!
Mentioned in the show
- Indiana Celtic Community, including their immersion weekend. Book your place!
- City of Bloomington, Indiana
- Dineen Grow – Start Something podcast episode
- Also here part of Devin’s backstory on the interview with Mara Bernstein
- Karen Reshkin – listen to our interview “It’s all about your perspective”
Get the next episode as soon as it’s up
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Alternatively, subscribe on Android to this RSS feed
- Use the audio player in this post. The player also has a download link to grab the episode’s MP3 file.
- List all our past episodes
The show comes out each fortnight on Thursdays at 8am EST. Thanks for listening.
We’d love to hear from you about this episode. Just leave a comment below.
Do you have a suggestion for a future guest? Then please do contact us.
6 thoughts on “Zero to Immersion Weekend with Devin Blankenship (Ep. 40)”
So nice to hear Devin Blankenship. He’s really been instrumental in the growth of the Midwestern Irish-speaking community. The immersion weekend in Bloomington is fantastic and well worth the trip. Maith thú!
What a wonderful podcast! An Irish immersion weekend sounds divine! Hopefully, one is being planned in the Southeast.
We are glad to hear that you have liked the podcast 🙂
Great to hear Devin yet again. Maybe post a list of all the available weekends in. I know in the USA Bloomington, IN, Madision, WI, Minneapolis, MN all have weekends. I also know that Cedar Rapids, IA is holding their first this year. Where are some of the others?
That sounds like a great idea. Thank you for sharing the info you have regarding the immersion weekends.
Jimmie, that’s actually an idea that’s been floating around with us lately. Thanks for the suggestion, as Ana said.