Discussion podcast about learning to speak Irish Gaelic (in English). This is an interview with Karen Reshkin from Chicago is an Irish language instructor at Na Gaeil. She’s also a musician, playing the fiddle
Karen is an accomplished Irish language speaker.
What you’ll hear
- Karen’s approach to learning: do it in small regular pieces
- Don’t stress and beat yourself up with learning to speak Irish. Instead, use your curiosity to study texts, try to decipher what you’re seeing.
- Reach out to others learning to speak Irish too. Twitter and Facebook are good places to start.
Mentioned in the show
After-hours seannós dancing at Oireachtas na Gaeilge:
- Na Gaeil of Chicago, where there are Irish language lessons at the Irish American Heritage Center
- Madison, Wisconsin immersion weekend – listen to our podcast interview with Dineen Grow
- Bloomington, Indiana Irish immersion weekend – listen to our podcast interview with Mara Bernstein
- Oireachtas na Gaeilge
- Sean-nós dancing
- Gaeilge gan Stró textbook
- Lúibíní and the Agallamh Beirte – song and spoken witty performances
- Oideas Gael in Donegal – listen to our podcast interview with Liam Ó Cuinneagáin
- “Tá mé, tá sé”, which means “I am, he is”. You get to put that into practice if you’re a member, with Bitesize Lesson: Creating short sentences. If you’re not yet a member of our online program, sign up to learn to speak Irish Gaelic in Bitesize portions.
Karen recorded a video on the pronunciation rules of Irish Gaelic. The video below is also accompanied with a text document.
Get the next episode as soon as it’s up
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Alternatively, subscribe on Android to this RSS feed
- Use the audio player in this post. The player also has a download link to grab the episode’s MP3 file.
- List all our past episodes
The show comes out each fortnight on Thursdays at 8am EST. Thanks for listening. We’d love to hear from you about the episode. Just leave a comment below.