Mara Bernstein doesn’t seem to have a drop of Irish blood, but that didn’t stop her from learning and promoting the Irish language. She’s one of the main organizers of the Bloomington, Indiana Irish Language Immersion weekend.
What you’ll hear
- The huge community of Irish language learners that does exist
- The pro-active approach you need to take to reach out to other learners
- Why you shouldn’t beat yourself up about the length of time it seems to take to learn a new language
- How the Irish language attracts a wonderful type of person with whom you can interact
- How you should treat the academic side of Irish language learners
Mentioned in the show
- Indiana Celtic Community who run the Bloomington, Indiana Deireadh Seachtaine (weekend)
- GaelSkype Facebook group for meeting others on Skype to practice some Irish (do it!)
- Fulbright Commission which can support travel from the US to Ireland for learning the langauge
- Milwaukee Irish Fest 2014 – come to say hi to Eoin who’ll be in the Irish Language Tent in the Cultural Village.
Get the next episode as soon as it’s up
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Alternatively, subscribe on Android to this RSS feed
- Use the audio player in this post. The player also have a download link to grab the episode’s MP3 file.
- List all our past episodes
The show comes out each fortnight on Thursdays at 8am EST. Thanks for listening. We’d love to hear from you about the episode. Just leave a comment below.