Robert Todd spent Christmas on the west coast of Ireland while the country got hit with a storm. Earlier in his trip, he spent time in Dublin, where he spoke the Irish language to cab drivers, bus drivers and others. This is your motivation to try out Irish when you’re visiting Ireland. It doesn’t matter if you’re only starting to learn – all you need is a few phrases.
What you’ll hear
- Why it’s actually a good idea to first try out speaking Irish on people in Dublin rather than in the Gaeltacht areas
- How Robert approached speaking Irish with people he met
- His first impression of Ireland
- Robert’s advice for you on making the most of visiting Ireland
Mentioned in the show
- New Grange – Brú na Bóinne
- Mount Brandon on the Dingle peninsula
- Conor Pass
- Lá Fhéile Stiofáin – St. Stephen’s Day, which is December 26th
- Wren’s Day – Lá an Dreoilín
- Sceillig Mhíchíl island
Get the next episode as soon as it’s up
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Alternatively, subscribe on Android to this RSS feed
- Use the audio player in this post. The player also have a download link to grab the episode’s MP3 file.
The show comes out each fortnight on Thursdays at 8am EST. Thanks for listening. We’d love to hear from you about the episode. Just leave a comment below.