Listen to Eoin discuss listener questions and emails around the Irish language (Irish Gaelic) in Ireland. If you feel that deep connection for Ireland, and plan on visiting, or have visited, then you’ll learn about seeking the Irish language out.
What you’ll hear
- Whether you’ll be understood in the Gaeltacht regions if you learn standardized Irish
- How media has changed native speakers’ exposure to different accents and dialects
- How common is the Irish language in Ireland?
- Is there a Leinster Irish dialect?
- Eoin’s rant on why perfectionism is not a practical goal for speaking Irish
Mentioned in this episode
- Gaeltacht regions – those regions that are historically marked as places in Ireland where Irish is the main community language (but those borders don’t always match reality). Eoin speaks about urban Irish.
- Bitesize Irish Gaelic online lessons
- Slea Head Farm
- Conradh na Gaeilge for cafés and bookstores
- TG4 television and Raidió na Gaeltachta radio
Get the next episode as soon as it’s up
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Alternatively, subscribe on Android to this RSS feed
- Use the audio player in this post. The player also have a download link to grab the episode’s MP3 file.
The show comes out each fortnight on Thursdays at 8am EST. Thanks for listening. We’d love to hear from you about the episode. Just leave a comment below.